Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

(My 9x13 pans was being used by something else so I used these two cakes pans. It still worked.)


When I was growing up one of my best friends, Robyn (Saunders) Storm, lived across the street from me. Her father was an amazing bread maker and they always had cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate on Friday mornings. I was always so jealous of that since I always had to fend for myself not only for breakfast but for lunch and dinner as well. I pretty much raised myself (that probably explains a lot). So it was either nothing for breakfast or cold cereal. Because of this I decided when I had children I would cook for my family. I make some kind of hot breakfast 6 days a week, help the children get their lunch, and I make dinner pratically every night. Over the past year I have started this Saturday morning tradition of the cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. I have tried many different recipes and have found one that not only tastes like I slaved for hours and hours but they only take 90-120 minutes to make.

So here it goes:

Cinnamon Rolls

Turn oven onto warm setting or lowest temp.

Place in sauce pan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted.

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons milk

Mix the following in Kitchen Aid bowl:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. bread machine yeast (one envelope)

Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Add one egg untill well incorporated. Change the hook to the dough hook and add:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus enough until dough does not stick to the sides of bowl

Knead in the Kitchen Aid for 2 minutes. Turn out on floured surface and cover with the bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.

Filling:
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix all together.

After the 10 minutes roll the dough into about a 9x15 rectangle. Spread the filling all over dough and roll up from one of the long sides. Cut into 12 rolls and place in a buttered 9x13 pan. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in warm oven for 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon rolls from oven and keep them covered while the oven pre-heats to 375 degrees F. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.

Yummy, yum. Sit back and hear the praises come from your family. I love hearing my kids tell me I am the best every Saturday. I guess it makes up for all the times they think I am too mean ;)

2 comments:

Brigitte Ballard said...

This is something delicious that you should NOT post the recipe where I can see it. Now I will make it.

Looks soooooo yummy!

Your lucky family...

R + M said...

Though your buns look delicious, after years of eating my dad's cinnamon roles, I can't deviate from the tried and true recipe of my youth...lol. Friday mornings are still a great memory for me and I love going home on occasion and still getting some home-cooked love.